19 January 2011

My First Build- Entertainment Cabinet

In our last house we had one of those giant niches where the builder forces you to put your television.  I hate those.  But nonetheless we were left with a large hole to fill in our living room. Were talking like 52 wide by 82 high and 16 deep. HUGE.  We didn’t want one of those chinsy TV stands and every entertainment cabinet we looked at that would fit in the niche, wouldn’t fit our 47in television.  Any any cabinet that would fit the television wouldn’t fit in the niche.  You see the problem here.

So what’s a girl to do?  Find a cabinet she likes and draw up the plans to meet the specifications of the space she needs it to fit of course! 

Hubby was on board immediately.  He loves to build as much as I do and he loves to do it together even more.  There’s no I in Team!

I don’t have pics from start to finish unfortunately… this was before I fell down the rabbit hole into blog land.  But you’ll get the picture “pun intended” I’m so funny lol.

Here is the frame work.  I wanted the door to hide blankets and pillows for the living room.  The lower cubbies will be filled with bins and the upper with baskets or nik naks.  The long skinny section below the large opening will be for dvd, satellite and the like.

 

P1020750

 

We had to test it and make sure it would fit before we glued the top to the bottom with dowel joints.

P1020753

Now we take it apart again and paint.  Also add the crown mold to the top and the trim pieces to face it.  This is the first time I found out that you need to condition and pretreat raw wood or the paint looks dry and uneven, whoops!

 

P1020756

P1020757

And here it is in place!  Now that we’ve moved and don’t have a niche any longer it doesn’t quite fit in so I will probably donate it.  Or repurpose it into something for the laundry room eventually.

P1020765

P1020766

I love building things.  It’s the easiest way to get exactly what you want.  This cost us about $200 but the middle support is solid oak because we wanted to make sure it was nice and strong as the television is super heavy.  It took two days make from start to finish.

 

~Sommer

7 comments:

Life in Rehab said...

Cool beans! Custom furniture you make yourself is always the best.

Cassie Bustamante said...

i am SO impressed. can you come build some things for me!?

Donnie said...

What a great job. I think I'd have to find somewhere to reuse it. It's just too beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Well just look at you! You go, Girl!

Unknown said...

Look what you all did! Great job.

Sharon@Sharon at Home said...

WOW .... great cabinet.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

My hat is off to you, Sommer, and your hubby. Your made-from-scratch media center was perfect for that spot. I'm sure you'll be able to come up with some creative way to take it apart a reuse it. Just put your thinkin' cap on! ;)

Thanks for faithfully linking to the party.

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails