24 August 2011

Lantern Center Pieces

A couple weeks ago I was sitting in our office with Mr Garden.   My desk is right next to the window and I saw the new neighbors out front weeding and stuff.  It was trash day and he kept hauling stuff to the curb.  I noticed a box of what looked like exterior house lamps.  Since I rent and my landlord is a cheap ass I love to find stuff like this that I can modernize the place with that doesn’t cost him anything out of pocket.  I have learned if it costs him money the answer is always no.

Then I saw the guy walking down to the box on the curb and I threw an old McDonalds wrapper at hubby’s head.  “Hey babe I bet he’s writing FREE on that box!”

Since Mr Garden had already introduced himself to them he agreed to walk me over and introduce me as the wife who stalks their trash from the windows.  Perfect!

And sure enough he did write FREE on the box *grin*.

IMG_7381

They didn’t end up being the kinds you can mount on your house.  They are for pillars around a courtyard or at the end of the driveway.  So they needed to be repurposed into something free standing.  And why not a centerpiece?

They were all crusty and faded when I got them.  So I tore them apart into a bunch of pieces and threw all the parts in the dishwasher.  It got all steamy and stunk to high heaven like burning plastic in the house but I pressed on.  I made hubby gut the electrical out of them since they were all cobbwebby and that’s not how I roll.

IMG_7369

I always save my styrofoam from when we buy electrical components or furniture etc.. because it always comes in handy when I need to spray paint something that wont stand on it’s own.  I made a couple lanterns in oil rubbed bronze and a couple in white.  I sold two and have the other two in my house now until we open shop.  I love both!  However I don’t have pics of the white so you’ll have to wait for that later on.

IMG_7380

I put a bunch of sea shells in the white one.  Gave a great summery fresh look.  You can get bags of shells at the dollar store.

I put a bunch of lavender petals in the ORB one for a more rich and elegant look.

IMG_7384

IMG_7381

 

~Sommer

You can find me linking up at these great blogs parties... Here is where I'll be this week...






Mondays:
Sew Can Do
Diy HSHP
Skip To My Lou
The House In The Roses
Sumo's Sweet Stuff
DIY Show Off Project Parade
C.R.A.F.T.
Making The World Cuter
Keeping It Simple
Mad In Crafts
It's So Very Cheri
 Homemaker On A Dime
 Sew Many Ways
 
Tuesdays:
Not Just A Housewife
House of Grace
All Things Related
Tip Junkie
Hope Studios
Topsy Turvy
Creative Itch
Craft Edition
Giggles Glitz and Glam
 
Wednesdays:
My Backyard Eden
Blue Cricket Design
Ginger Snap Crafts
 Domestically Speaking
Tea Rose Home
Someday Crafts
Sew Much Ado
Primitive And Proper
Seven Thirty Three
Type A
Lil Luna
We Are That Family
Elements And Interiors
Handy Man Crafty Woman

Thursdays:
Shabby Chic Cottage
Somewhat Simple
Yesterday On Tuesday
House Of Hepworths
Beyond The Picket Fence
Beneath My Heart
Fireflies And Jellybeans
Tales From Bloggeritaville
The Brambleberry Cottage
Common Ground
 Rhinestone Beagle
It's A Keeper
 
Fridays:
Shanty 2 Chic
Miss Mustard Seed
Shabby Nest
Remodelaholic
Romantic Home
Finding Fabulous
Vintage Revivals
Just A Girl
Tidy Mom
Fingerprints On The Fridge
Chic On A Shoestring
A Little Knick Knack
The Girl Creative
 
Saturdays:
Funky Junk Interiors
Perfectly Imperfect
Tatertots And Jello
Crafy Envy
Be Different Act Normal
Along For The Ride
A Vision To Remember
 Kims Kandy Kreations
 

1 comments:

Heather said...

I found some neat outdoor lanterns at ReStore earlier this summer that I refurbished to use inside. The outdoor lanterns are big and much cheaper than you can find at Pottery Barn or Ballard Designs. Great job!

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails