I sew. A lot. I’m self taught. I’m pretty good at what I do. But this was a PROJECT and a half! I had no idea what I was getting myself into making this thing. And it’s far from perfect but it’s perfect for me. I started to do a tutorial but as I went along I realized this is one of those things that is going to be different for each and every piece that comes along. There are going to be little quirks that only the seamstress will be able to modify and figure out. So bear with me on this one…. At some point I stopped snapping pictures completely because I was so frustrated and I just had to focus and finish it!
Here was my subject. A sofa I got from Craig's List for $50 but forgot to break my $20 on the way to pick it up and paid $60, humph!
I bought an 8oz 6x9 drop cloth from Lowes. Okay I bought two. I started by laying the drop cloth over the sofa and tucking it into seams and corners to figure out where to start cutting.
Then I cut and laid more pieces and cut some more. May I add I was completely winging it! I had no idea if this thing was going to turn out or not but the drop cloths were only $10 each so it was worth a shot.
I started pinning seams while the slipcover was on the sofa so I knew I was getting a nice fit. Then I started sewing. With each section I finished I would put it back on the sofa to check the fit. I think I lost ten lbs. since my craft room is in our finished basement and this sofa is on our main floor lol. I did a lot of up and down! Note to self * Set up sewing table in the same room as furniture next time!*
The fronts of the arms were a bit of a challenge but turned out better than I expected. I just cut the shape for the fronts and pinned them to the sides that were already in place.
At this point I was onto the back. I had to bring the back, the sides of the arms, the top of the arms and front of the back of the sofa all together on the back corners and I had no idea how I was going to do that. I didn’t take pictures of this part. To be honest, it’s not pretty! I just started pinning and sewing and pinning and sewing and it’s now a hot mess of gathers and folds! But it’s on the back where nobody will ever see it. I also left the back corner seams open so I could remove it more easily.
Here is the finished slipcover, minus photo’s of the back. I don’t want to discourage anyone lol.