13 November 2010

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Tutorial

While frequently what may possibly be my favorite store on earth Hobby Lobby, my girlfriend and I were discussing how to decorate some paper mache ornaments.  We settled on decoupage.  And here is how they turned out.  Can’t wait to have a tree full of them.
I found out there are a few ways to do this.  With all the angles and corners it was a bit of a challenge to get it down.  These are fun and easy but a bit time consuming.  With the first one I laid the paper on top and creased all areas of the surface onto my paper to make a template then traced it onto my nice paper.  I glued it onto the front and back.  It’s not an exact science, you’ll have to play with it before you mod podge.
Here it is finished on the front.  This is a three dimensional star.
Here I tried to show you the back unfinished.
Now I also had smaller two dimensional stars and their backs were flat.  They are much easier to work with.  If you don’t have a perfect pattern on your page.  Meaning you can turn it any direction and still it looks right side up then you can cut and paste many pieces.  I cut triangles and pasted them in the crevices then I cut strips about 3 in long and wrapped them around the points back onto each other and they turned out the best.
This is the 3D star.  You can see the edges of the paper slightly.
My first set of three.  The one in the center is a 2D star and you can see the pattern didn’t care if I cut it into a bunch of pieces or not. 
Here are a few more in a different paper. 
These cost me about $1.00 an ornament to make.  Amazing what a little paper and mod podge can make huh?  Just to give you an idea I did 4 large 3d and 4 small 2d stars in about 3.5 hours.  Like I said, kind of time consuming but I love them!

5 comments:

Angie said...

Sommer!! So worth the time you spent! I love these!!! I really love the fact that you can use any paper to match any decor!

Nutbird said...

Nice job! I've only been to Hobby Lobby once and that was the Denver Store. They don't have them in my part of the country. I still manage to have all sorts of craft stuff hidden through my house waiting for me. Ann

MBC Scrapbooking said...

Very elegant look! I love your blog:)

Anonymous said...

I'm a new follower, and am admiring your patience!! These are fabulous, I need a little bit of your patience. Seriously! Great job!
lifeofperks.blogspot.com

Tammy @ Type A said...

love these, but you must have the patience of a god! i attempted some and now they are all naked in a bowl!

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails