06 June 2011

One Down Fifty Six To Go

Today officially marks the start of our summer break.  And the end of my sanity as we know it.  I’m trying to see the silver lining here though.  We are on a modified calendar so we have two less weeks of break than other schools since our fall and spring breaks are two weeks long.  I also get to wake up of my own accord in the mornings without feeling rushed to get kids ready.  We can live in our pj’s all day though I’m trying to implement that everyone be dressed with beds made once they are up each day.  My hopes with this is that it will be habit once school starts in August =)
I don’t have to be finished painting by 4pm.  I don’t have to schedule appt’s around school hours.  I do love the freedom that the summer brings to my schedule.  The question always remains, how do I keep them entertained?
For starters we have all started pitching ideas on getting their rooms finished.  So starting with the boy.  I finished his bed last week.  If you remember he has slept on a mattress on the floor since we moved in this past February.  His new bed is a full size which I find perfect for a ten year old.  It should last him until at least college. 
IMG_6909
I cannot believe I forgot to take before photo’s of this.  In fact I was positive that I had but I cannot seem to find any.  I lucked out.  This is a Pottery Barn bed that I got on Craigs List for $150.  It was barn red though.  So a little primer and paint later and voila.  Perfect for a tween boy.
IMG_6908
We have a ways to go in this room.  For one I had to cheap out on the bedding.  It didn’t occur to me that we didn’t have full size bedding for it until we had it up lol.  So we ran to Ross and got the sheets and comforter for $30.  But the sheets are paper thin and the comforter feels like a sheet.  So in time we’ll find something more suitable but for now this works.
IMG_6911
I also used a closet organizer for his night stand and all his books right now.  Until I find night stands I like.  And I’m making his drapes from some of our old tan sheets.
IMG_6910
My dad also has a bunch of prints from the Da Vinci museum in Italy that he is going bring over so I can have them copied.  So there will be art in here eventually as well.  But for now the boy is super happy with his bed.  And it’s nice to see all the furniture in this room done.
IMG_6914
Lastly I would like to find a small love seat, futon or something to put over here where he likes to sit and read.  Boy does that kid like to read. 
IMG_6912

~Sommer
You can find me linking up at these great blogs parties...

Mondays:
Sew Can Do
Diy HSHP
Skip To My Lou
The House In The Roses
Sumo's Sweet Stuff
DIY Show Off Project Parade
C.R.A.F.T.
Making The World Cuter
Keeping It Simple
Mad In Crafts
It's So Very Cheri
 Homemaker On A Dime
 Sew Many Ways
 
Tuesdays:
Homebody Holly
Not Just A Housewife
House of Grace
All Things Related
Tip Junkie
Hope Studios
Topsy Turvy
Creative Itch
Craft Edition
Giggles Glitz and Glam
 
Wednesdays:
My Backyard Eden
Blue Cricket Design
 Domestically Speaking
Tea Rose Home
Someday Crafts
Sew Much Ado
Primitive And Proper
Seven Thirty Three
Type A
Lil Luna
We Are That Family
Elements And Interiors
Handy Man Crafty Woman

Thursdays:
Shabby Chic Cottage
Somewhat Simple
Yesterday On Tuesday
House Of Hepworths
Beyond The Picket Fence
Beneath My Heart
Fireflies And Jellybeans
Tales From Bloggeritaville
The Brambleberry Cottage
Common Ground
 Rhinestone Beagle
It's A Keeper
 
Fridays:
Shanty 2 Chic
Miss Mustard Seed
Shabby Nest
Remodelaholic
Romantic Home
Finding Fabulous
Vintage Revivals
Just A Girl
Tidy Mom
Fingerprints On The Fridge
Chic On A Shoestring
A Little Knick Knack
The Girl Creative
 
Saturdays:
Funky Junk Interiors
Perfectly Imperfect
Tatertots And Jello
Crafy Envy
Be Different Act Normal
Along For The Ride
A Vision To Remember
 Kims Kandy Kreations
 


16 comments:

jandjhome said...

Ahh summer. How wonderful to have time. Last summer we tried to find fun, free things to do with my nieces and nephews. We had a blast and stayed busy all summer.

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Calling from creative blogger party! Yes, I just love summer. Beautiful post! Now, am your newest follower...hope you will follow me back:)
Have a great week!

Sanghamitra.

Julie said...

Looks great! We're moving our 9 year old into a full size bed soon! I'll have to start thinking about bedding, too!!!

Good Time Charlie said...

We have a similar schedule here in my corner of Norcal. I am pooped already, and only day one. Yikes, better pace myself. Love the room, you sound like me, goals for the kids for what we will (hopefully get done), like making our bed by 9 am. Good luck to you, I will be thinking of you when my sanity runs out, like in three days......Seriously though, I love summer break, I just need to remember it doesn't last forever, and that is good for everyone :)

Angie said...

The bed turned out fantastic!!!! Summer home with the kids was ALWAYS my favorite!! Staying in PJ's all day!?! HEAVEN!! As for the boredom- we are lucky and have a pool so that takes up a ton of time. Our Library also had shows every week that were pretty cool- laser light shows, Animal shows so you might check that out! Oh by the way- don't know how we are going to swing it but I'm giving notice at my job in a month and i'm coming back home with the kids. I CAN'T do it anymore.

Delaney said...

The bed looks great! TJ Maxx and Target always have great deals on new bedding. http://sweetteaserendipity.blogspot.com

Holly said...

Your son's room looks great...perfect for a 10 yr old! You got an awesome deal on the PB bed. Good job seeing past the red and making it what you wanted.
I'm glad you joined my party :)

Cassie Bustamante said...

it looks awesome!!!! so masculine!

Tammy said...

Love it! You lucky thing you, I've been searching for a nice full size for my boys "new" room. Good find!

Joy@Thrifty Parsonage Living said...

It looks great!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Stopping by for the first time! Your sons room looks fantastic! I love the bed and the Italian art on the wall will look great! Nice to meet you! :)

Kindly, Lorraine

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

This looks great, so classy looking! Thanks for sharing at Beyond The Picket Fence.

Tammy @ Type A said...

love it!!! looks great. xx

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

That turned out great ! Thanks for stopping by to add this to our Wicked Awesome Wednesday party!

Rhinestone Beagle said...

Bed looks great! Thanks for linking up last week. Can't wait to see what you have for thursday's party!

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com said...

That's awesome. :) Love the bed. I'd love for you to link this up over at my {wow me} wednesday link party going on over on my blog right now. :) Following from Fingerprints on the Fridge. :)



Ginger
gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails