16 August 2011

But I Want To Keep Them

I know I’m not the only who feels that way after completing a project.  I think I feel that way about most the stuff I refinish.  But then I wouldn’t be in business if I kept it all right?  These chairs got the royal treatment.  They were also a royal pain in the you know what.  And part of me is glad they didn’t sell this past weekend because now I can enjoy them for a little while before they find a new home.

 

IMG_7415

 

 

Here is what I started with and then I’ll tell you why the drove me bonkers and you’ll then laugh at me because I was such a fool about how I approached them.

IMG_7344

When I started taking the fabric off the seats I realized they had been recovered.  But the old owner never took the original fabric off.  So I had two sets of staples to pull! 

IMG_7346

IMG_7349

Instead of just covering them and forgetting about removing the old fabric let alone both sets of old fabric, I took the long route.  Because that’s how I roll and I’m special like that.

Then I decided I wanted to print a graphic on the seats.  And I had seen a great tutorial on using Citrisolv to transfer images. 

IMG_7372

So here is how this is supposed to work.  You get the image you want printed on a laser printer because it wont work on your home inkjet.  Don’t ask me why.  Nobody knows how electricity works either but enjoy the benefits anyhow. 

Then you place the image face down on your fabric and dab the Citrisolv onto the back until the paper becomes translucent and you can see your image through the paper.IMG_7371

IMG_7374

Then you get a metal spoon and rub the image.  Don’t peek because it’s impossible to get the image realigned.  So I rubbed…and I peeked a little on the corner… nothing.  So I rubbed some more.  I peeked again, still nothing.  What am I doing wrong?  Everyone says this works!

IMG_7373

So I rubbed some more… and I rubbed and I rubbed.  Harder and faster.  Maybe I have to build up friction and it has to be warm.  Sweat is now running down my brow and I’m rubbing and rubbing and my biceps are screaming “Feel the burn baby!”.  And then I hold my breath…

IMG_7370

Damnit!  Curse this project!  That’s it?!!  Really?  After all that work.  I even made up a song… “Rub rub rub your spoon, rub it all day long… Maybe I should have done a dance for the Citrisolv gods.  But clearly this wasn’t working.

Then I notice the paper starts to change colors when my hand sits on it.  Like the heat from my hand is doing something miraculous…

IMG_7376

Can you see the lighter spots?  That is where my fingers were resting.  So I have an idea… Maybe heat will create some sort of chemical reaction and bond the ink to the fabric.  Yeah! So I cover the image with another piece of fabric and iron.

IMG_7377

Son of a …!!  Nothing.

At this point I had to walk away and gather my thoughts.  Why has everyone else had success with this except me?  I have an above average IQ and I should be able to do this simple task!

Last but not least I decide to try it on a different type of fabric.  And…

IMG_7385

Sweet success… see the image there on my tea towel.  Not the best shot as I was just practicing but it turned out crisp and clear and gently faded.  I gently heat set it with the iron.  So the moral of this story is that you can only use the Citrisolv method on tightly woven fabrics.  Drop cloth does NOT work well at all. Booo.

But like all projects that make you feel like poking yourself in the eye with a sharp stick… it was all worth it in the end.

IMG_7403

IMG_7410

IMG_7415

 

~Sommer

You can find me linking up at these great blogs parties... Here is where I'll be this week...











Mondays:
Sew Can Do
Diy HSHP
Skip To My Lou
The House In The Roses
Sumo's Sweet Stuff
DIY Show Off Project Parade
C.R.A.F.T.
Making The World Cuter
Keeping It Simple
Mad In Crafts
It's So Very Cheri
 Homemaker On A Dime
 Sew Many Ways
 
Tuesdays:
Not Just A Housewife
House of Grace
All Things Related
Tip Junkie
Hope Studios
Topsy Turvy
Creative Itch
Craft Edition
Giggles Glitz and Glam
 
Wednesdays:
My Backyard Eden
Blue Cricket Design
Ginger Snap Crafts
 Domestically Speaking
Tea Rose Home
Someday Crafts
Sew Much Ado
Primitive And Proper
Seven Thirty Three
Type A
Lil Luna
We Are That Family
Elements And Interiors
Handy Man Crafty Woman

Thursdays:
Shabby Chic Cottage
Somewhat Simple
Yesterday On Tuesday
House Of Hepworths
Beyond The Picket Fence
Beneath My Heart
Fireflies And Jellybeans
Tales From Bloggeritaville
The Brambleberry Cottage
Common Ground
 Rhinestone Beagle
It's A Keeper
 
Fridays:
Shanty 2 Chic
Miss Mustard Seed
Shabby Nest
Remodelaholic
Romantic Home
Finding Fabulous
Vintage Revivals
Just A Girl
Tidy Mom
Fingerprints On The Fridge
Chic On A Shoestring
A Little Knick Knack
The Girl Creative
 
Saturdays:
Funky Junk Interiors
Perfectly Imperfect
Tatertots And Jello
Crafy Envy
Be Different Act Normal
Along For The Ride
A Vision To Remember
 Kims Kandy Kreations
 

23 comments:

gina said...

You are too funny! Loved this post and glad to know it's not just me that has trouble doing certain things when others can do it so easily. The chairs look great!

Homeroad said...

Sommer I've only had luck with the Citrasolv if it was done on a paint cloth with the finer weave. I've bought several different kinds and the ones with the rough weave don't work! The kind from Lowes works better.
I like the stripes on the chairs better anyway!
Susan :)

DIYbyDesign said...

They came out great. I have been wanting to try transferring an image that way. Now I'm not so sure. Hope you will link up this project at my Sizzle into Summer party that opens tonight at 8pm EST. Thanks.

Cassie Bustamante said...

SO pretty! i can see why you want to keep them!

Delaney said...

These are so great!

Andrea@handmakemyday said...

you are too funny! know how you feel. Maybe next time you should use Artist Transfer Paper. Prints on inkjet and irons on without a weird film.

Sue@Uniquely Chic said...

The chairs turned out great. I never heard of the citrasolve transfer thing and think I will just stay away from it, ha!

Kristin said...

I had the same problem, but mine was because of the specific type of laser ink. I had to go to three different stores before I found copies that worked. The chairs look fantastic, by the way!

Deborah March said...

I just LOVE the Citrasolve technique, but I learned quickly that tightly woven fabrics are best. Your chairs are FABULOUS!!

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

They did turn out nice! I hope you're able to enjoy them a little while longer.

I have been wanting to try Citrasolv, but can't find it anywhere. Can you tell me where you bought it? Good job improvising to get the graphic to adhere!

Have a great day.
Pam

Miss Char said...

Oh sweetheart I can certainly feel your pain on this one. Tried the same thing on the same type of fabric with the same results and blue language. We have a laser jet so I figured something was wrong with the ink in our printer so I drove to Kinkos to have the prints done there. I come back and blah, blah, blah same as you until wait....just a minute things are starting to work. No one mentioned on any of the tutorials I read that you had to rub until your arm fell off. I did get the print to transfer but moving forward I'll use a fabric with a tighter weave. Thanks for the great laugh, its nice to know I wasn't the only one trying to figure out why I was the only person in blogland who couldn't make this project work.

Honey at 2805 said...

Funny. It may have been a pain, but it certainly looks royal! Nice job!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Oh my gosh, sounds like me when I try out these new techniques! They sound so easy, but it's like I didn't get the most important step because my stuff never comes out well! : ) Your chairs look great; I love the seat.

bj said...

haahhhaaa...you had me laughing out loud and I spit coke float out when I got to the Son of a .....part. You are so cute.
Love you chairs..you did a screaming good job on them.
I'm signing up to follow..ever so often, I have to get my cussing fix so this might be a good place to come. :)))
Come on over and see me..
xo bj

Megan Gunyan said...

Ha! It seems like techniques that always work well for other people NEVER work well for me! I could definitely relate to your story! The chairs turned out pretty darn cute. I'm glad you could enjoy them a bit longer as well. Thanks for sharing!

* The Design Confidential said...

yep! i feel your pain! this kinda crap happens to me pretty regularly! grrr.... but those chairs are fab! and the tea towel too!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

It sounds like it was a lot of work- but they turned out wonderful~ I think they are super charming! Thanks for linking them up at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Krista@RustikChic said...

The chairs are so beautiful! I would want them too. Great job!

Debra@CommonGround said...

Well, your chairs turned out fabulous, love the stripe! thanks for linking up with VIF, xo Debra

Okie Chic said...

Your chairs are really pretty. I make tons of pillows using this method. I think it is you ink. I always use dropcloth so I don't think it was that. I usually just slap it on wait a couple of minutes and then rub using an ice cream scoop. I hope this helps ya out.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sommer...It took me a few times but I finally mastered the CitraSolv method!! You have to have your image printed on the correct copier that's the key! I tried Office Max, Mail n Copy, and another printing store to no avail!! Finally I tried King Soppers and Safeway for whatever reason they both worked. Once you get your image printed correctly it's really easy and hardly takes any effort!! You can see some towels I did http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uTkNEXeqSRo/TkAFzbvmvJI/AAAAAAAAAMM/zipY8TwXRCc/s1600/DSCF4161.JPG

Hope next time you have better luck! Love your chairs by the way! :)

Shabby Beach Nest said...

Hi Sommer!! I'm so sorry for the late reply - I've literally been without my computer for the past week-and-a-half.

I'm SO sorry to hear that the technique didn't work out for you (but I have to admit that you had me in stitches). =} I'm not sure why is didn't work... I've tried to reproduce the problem by printing out my designs on different laser printers, but every one of them worked.

I also wanted to put your mind at ease about the fabric, as I've successfully used this technique in the past to transfer to burlap, which has a very loose weave. I'm at a total loss as to why this didn't work for you... I'm so sorry I couldn't be more help. =T But if it's any consolation, your chairs are absolutely GORGEOUS!!! And I love the bee design - so fun and summery!! ^_^ Thanks for sharing your trials and tribulations; it just makes us love you that much more. =]

~Nicole @ www.shabbybeachnest.com

Megan Gunyan said...

I love it! I had to feature it! Come grab a button! ;)

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails