25 October 2011

Meet the Turquoise Piano Week 3

First of all I want to thank Sommer for having me!  Isn't she great?!

Hello everyone!  I'm Kelli and my blog is The Turquoise Piano.  I am primarily a stay-at-home-mommy to Morgan and wife to Tom but in my spare time I love DIY projects, home staging/decorating, exercising, and eating.  I try to post at least one tutorial every week on my blog so come visit and I'll do my best to make you happy.  Today I'm going to share one of my favorite upholstery projects with you. Meet Settee.

One day my friend and I were garage sale-ing at the beginning of the season (like when it was still cold) and she spotted this for me.  It was one of those moments where the stars align and you know you have the best luck and the best friends in the world 

 I'll be honest.  I was overwhelmed.  I had never reupholstered anything and this looked like quite a big project so it sat in my garage for months (with hubby asking if I'm ever going to do anything with it).  I got a few other chairs under my belt and decided to go for it.  

I stripped the old upholstery off.   I actually really like this look (assuming that the batting was covered with white or cream upholstery) but it wasn't what I had in mind so it all changed.
I labeled each piece so I would have a pattern for the new material.  If you ever reupholster, DO THIS.  It is very helpful when it is time to put everything back together. 
Next I spray painted the wood Heirloom White by Rustoleum. 
Then I used antiquing glaze to bring out the wood work, cut out the new fabric (I wanted neutral and stripes), stapled it into place, sewed what I needed to (unfortunately I have zero pictures of these steps).  When it comes to sewing, every chair is different so you just have to try.
I made a new cover for the big cushion but I am not there yet with my sewing skills and the cover looks pretty bad so I took it off and used the extra material to just wrap the cushion like a Christmas present using hot glue instead of tape.  It works for me until I'm ready to try again on the cushion.  Then I made some pillows and strategically placed them.
 
Cost Summary:
Chair - $20
Upholstery - $35
Paint - $4
Glaze - already had = free
Pillows - around $10 for material
Total - $69
What do you think?  Not bad for under $70, right?
Another big thanks to Sommer for having me and to you all for reading!  Come on over to The Turquoise Piano!

2 comments:

Tammy @ Type A said...

love it girl! great job.

Christina said...

Absolutely beautiful makeover!!! I am sooooooooo tempted to try a settee makeover myself now! My "To Do" list is getting longer and longer!

Take care,
Christina
designingbynumbers.blogspot.com

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails