12 August 2010

Chalkboard paint

So I promised yesterday I would show you some of the items I have already transformed.  I mean really with two eager little girls and a tub of chalk board paint who wouldn't get a lot done in a day?


Terracotta pots for $.99



A little help from my friends =)  I love watching toddlers hands in action.



Chalk paint drying...



So pretty!  Now let sprout some herbs!



Clear glass canisters



Oooh fun labels with chalk!  I really hate my handwriting in chalk, I can tell I'm not a teacher.



Pretty mirror



Gorgeous mirror!



So I was oober inspired by a bedroom makeover on another blog and once again changed my mind on how were going to do my daughters room.  Not by much but a little.  Here is the little silver tray, I painted chalk paint in the middle and wrote "Candy" in pink.  I know I'm missing a frame, still trying to find a good match but wanted to give you the idea.  The framed prints say "Sweets for my sweet" and "Sugar for my honey".  I will post the link where you can find these once I do the complete room reveal =)



Making a chalk board for the laundry room.  I told her to spread out newspapers on the floor lol.  Yes I'm probably the only painter on earth who doesn't own a drop cloth!



That's better



I was worried after coat one.  It just looked like paint, nothing special.



Coat two showed some improvement and a chalkboard like surface.



Finished!  I wish this photo had better color quality.  It's not urine yellow! I promise.  It's an almond color frame and my walls are white.  But the kids loved it and I'm anxious to see what all were going to write on it in the future =)

2 comments:

jessica gabriel said...

Love your projects - they even have chalkboard paint in designer colours now!
I was wondering though - do you find it hard to get it back to the first black sheen before you ever put chalk on it? I chalkboard painted something and it looked all shiny black, wrote something on it in chalk, erased it... and it never really erased.... jgabriel@shaw.ca

Sommer said...

Hi Jessica. Are you priming your chalk surface before you write on it? Once the paint has dried for 24 hours you should rub a piece of chalk on it's side, over the entire paint surface to "prime" it. Then rub it in with a rag or your fingers really good. Then I take a damp cloth and wipe it clean. This prevents your chalk from leaving a permenant mark and then can easily be erased =) I do sometime have problem spots where there is a crevis from the brush strokes. You can also remedy this by running over the surface with some 220 or 320 grit sand paper to smooth it out. Hope that helps!

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails