28 February 2011

How's it Hangin?

Your keys I mean.  Member those old keys from Hobby Lobby that I took home for a song?  If not you can see them here.  I left you guessing as to what I was going to make with them.  I knew before I found the keys that I wanted to do something like this...

Wanna see?  Well... do you ya... punk?  Yep that definitely sounded better in my head lol.

Here is my new key hook holder!  I used to have one of those mail sorter ones with the slots and the hooks.  It was a light wood with gold cup hooks.  Not exactly my style anymore.  Hubby has been bugging me since we moved in to put something up to hang the keys on.  Even the old holder which I couldn't bring myself to do.


Want to see how I made it?  Oh it was so simple you'll want to run right out and make one!

Get a drawer face.  And with a chisel and hammer knock the back lip off so it can hang flat against the wall.



Now sand it until smooth, doesn't have to be perfect if you plan on distressing it, just smooth.  Then paint and distress.  I didn't take a picture of this part since I know my readers are capable =)  At least I hope so.

Then get some E-6000 glue and adhere your keys onto the front of the board in any pattern you choose.  This took me the longest.  Trying to figure out how I wanted them to lay.  Vertical, horizontal, slanted etc... The possibilities are endless and totally based on preference.



You can see above I also measured and drilled where I wanted my cup hooks to go.  The E-6000 glue takes a bit to set up so I would leave them overnight to set and then it will be like cement.

Next you will need some of this stuff.  Frame hanging brackets and cup hooks of your choice.


Measure for center unless you feel you need a bracket on both sides.  Then I would measure for the center of the bracket to be 2in in from each end of your wood.  Just a few smacks with the hammer will secure this piece on.


Now screw in your cup hooks and hang!  Voila, so simple and totally tres chic!







I've linked up to these parties
~Sommer

32 comments:

Jane @ Jane's Junk and Treasures said...

How cute is that!!!
Great idea!
I love the big keys!

Unknown said...

Perfect!! I love it!, wanda

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

I LOVE skeleton key projects and yours came out great. Love the contrast with the black keys on white. Beautiful!

Tammy @ Type A said...

turned out great. now you'll never lose your keys! i need one of these...damn keys.

Unknown said...

It turned out great!! I have a spot for the hubs keys and wallet but he NEVER uses it!! Drives me nuts! ;)

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

Very cute. Happy Tuesday.

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Great idea! Love it!

dreaming-n-color.blogspot.com

Sylvia said...

Super cute!!!

TINA said...

saw this on "not just a houswife" site, really liked it. super adorable. now i want one .lol
http://divababies.blogspot.com/

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sommer, that looks great. Thanks for joining WUW. Would love a link to the party added please.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

WONDERFUL! This is one of the cutest key hangers I've seen!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Great Idea!!

Anonymous said...

Super cute idea! Love it!

xx,
Michelle

Jan at Jewelry4Change said...

Super cute idea! I never would have thought to use a drawer front.

I found you on Making the World Cuter hop and am now following.

Tammy @ Type A said...

Thanks for sharing this at my party! my computer died last night,so i 42 links to check out! doh. busy morning.

Megan Gunyan said...

Very nice! I was wondering what you were going to do with those beauties! Great job.
I'm having TWO giveaways right now--love it if you could check them out! alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

The House Creative said...

Very cute idea! Love the keys.. :-) I have a linky party every Monday, hope you will stop by. Thehousecreative.com

Christina said...

This is truly beautiful! I love keys!! :)

I would love it if you would link to my party, "20 Below Thursday". It spotlights cute & thrifty ideas that are all under $20...and this would be the perfect addition!

http://christinasadventures2010.blogspot.com/2011/03/20-below-thursday-10.html

Lauren @ Love, Water and Wine said...

This is so cute! It would go perfectly in my house if you want to send it this way! ;) I would love for you to link up to my Ten Buck Tuesday link party!

Unknown said...

Love this. Highlighting this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

Robin Johnson said...

Oh how I love this idea. Guess I'll be looking for some keys of my own. LOL

Sachiko said...

This is very nice! I love how you decorated the keys sideways.

Amanda said...

This is such a wonderful idea, looks fab!

DIYbyDesign said...

I love what you've done. I just did a project using keys. I like yours so much. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks.

Christina said...

SO GLAD the bugs were worked out and you linked this up...I truly love this project!

Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

Unknown said...

Those are adorable! I love vintage key art! (Hopping by from the The Girl Creative Blog Hop)

Anonymous said...

Great idea and wonderful job! :-)

Dee@FrenchBleuVintage said...

Oh Yummy!! I love anything with keys. Very cool idea. Love your pretty blog as well - new follower.

Christina said...

I featured this on my blog today! Come check it out and get a "featured" button...thanks for the inspiration! :)

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Well, aren't you the smart one! What a fun idea - to use keys on a plaque as a key holder. ;) Your creation looks fab, Sommer!

Thanks for linking to the party.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

great project! I love old keys.
gail

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

love this idea! thanks for linking up to my link party- your site looks like fun!

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails